So read the results of the Urbandale Invite Cross Country Meet on Saturday, Sept. 2. That would be how to win a cross country meet. All five of the Dowling scoring runners finished in the top-10 overall. Twenty-four points, halving the next-placed team: Indianola with 53 points. Urbandale finished shortly behind with 57 points. But the boys of Dowling Catholic put their stamp on, not only the meet, but on the season as well, the slowest of the top five running a top-25 time in the state for this year.
Urbandale, Indianola, Iowa City West and Ankeny all have multiple runners in the top-25, but not all five. Only Pleasant Valley comes close with five boys running as fast or faster than the fifth Dowling runner.
Many of these teams will meet at the Marshalltown Invite this Thursday, Sept. 8 when 23 teams, including seven of the top-10 ranked teams battling through the corn fields and prairie grasses on the hilly Marshalltown Community College course.
The Dowling girls also came away with a victory as sophomore Kelsey Schweizer beating Roosevelt’s Isabel Buchan to the line. Urbandale’s Avery Peterson was third with Dowling runners knocking off the next three places with another ubiquitous name: Flood. Molly Flood, younger sister of state and NCAA champion Katie Flood, finished fourth only 17 seconds behind Scheizer.
Finishing ninth overall, Dowling’s fifth runner gave them a low score of 25. Roosevelt scored all five runners in the top-20, giving them a team score of 61 and Urbandale scored 71 to take third. Like the boys, many of the top teams will face off in Marshalltown on Thursday. Top-ranked Johnston will be hosting a metro-area meet at Camp Dodge and will be challenged by the likes of Indianola, Pella Christian and many of the metro schools.
Girls top 10
1. Kelsey Schwizer, Dowling, 20:13
2. Isabel Buchanan, Roosevelt, 20:17
3. Avery Peterson, Urbandale, 20:25
4. Molly Flood, Dowling, 20:30
5. Elzerie VanDyke, Dowling, 20:36
6. Kate Timboe, Dowling, 20:37
7. Jadyn Forbes, Indianola, 20:38
8. Grace Berg, Indianola, 20:42
9. Sydnee Miller, Dowling, 20:53
10. Megan Flemming, Roosevelt, 21:00
Boys top 10
1. Matt Fraizer, Dowling, 16:17
2. Matthew Carmody, Dowling, 16:18
3. Seth Nostrala, Indianola, 16:36
4. Drake Henrichs, Urbandale, 16:38
5. Jack Fink, Dowling, 16:40 6 Payton Marrs, Urbandale, 16:46
7. Kevin Conner, Dowling, 17:06
8. Quentin Linnan, Indianola, 17:10
9. Thomas Bussey, Dowling, 17:11.5
10. Niall Moore, Dowling, 17:11.8
Story and photos by David Mable. www.gosportsphoto.com.